11.16.2008

Finally I posted!

Okay, so we've been here 3 weeks and, I know, I'm a slacker, but I'm up on the Blog now. Let the thoughts and observations roll. It's currently Sunday morning, 16 hours ahead of a college football weekend back in the States, but really the only sports news in Australia is Cricket and Rugby. I guess it's a good year to be a Michigan football fan when the only way you can find out about their loss to Northwestern is to have your sister email you a gloating message. Way to go, Northwestern, you did what Toledo managed to do this year. Sorry, Katie, I'm embarrassed at my team.

Australia is amazing, not so much because of the cool wildlife and amazing scenery, but more so because it's just a laid back atmosphere where folks lounge around and enjoy their lives. People love their barbecues, their beer, their 6-month old United States pop music and asking us about the presidential election. You'd think Australia just elected Barack Obama president the way it's been covered here! We're doing our best to fit in, though, and while we're new to figuring out how to drive on the left and navigate around round-a-bouts, we're quickly getting acclimated to the friendly and relaxed lifestyle.

Work has been fast-paced for me, and I should be a full-up Australian converted pilot by the end of this week. I'm flying on Monday and Friday, have simulators the rest of the week, and am trying to absorb all the aircraft limitations that are slightly different from the U.S. numbers for the F-18. Go figure - why make something too easy. It's going to be fun though, and the few backseat rides around the countryside have been great - the Aussies are about as crazy as the Brits when it comes to flying low!

All right, Nina and I are off to a market up north of our place to try and find some cheap eats. Let's all hope that US Dollar keeps making gains on the Aussie!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Charlie, you have to admit that Michigan is just terrible this year, and Northwestern is actually pretty mediocre -- so it wasn't just a fluke!